Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

The 6 F's of the 4th of July

Let me start by saying, that this is my second favorite holiday of the year! (I know a lot of you probably thought that would be my Birthday,hee hee but no.) Bear with me!

Friends- What kind of holiday would this be if the people in your life were not close and together to experience such a wonderful thing as freedom?
Family- In my family, we have several traditions. On the 4th, we gather around a Victrola (made in 1915) and listen to the scratchy record recording of The Star Spangled Banner played by an orchestra from the 30's. Might I add, that the volume control depends on how far you open the doors on the top and bottom! haha how creative! Now that is what I call old school stereo sound!
Food- All of you know that this is a vital part of the day. BBQ's, fruit, and potato salads, desserts and punch. Yummy!
Fireworks- What an amazing and awe inspiring thing to watch! I look around me at the crowds of people from every walks of life, of every age, and every nationality. They all have one thing in common: In the beautiful, incredible moments of sparks and colored fire lighting up the night sky, nothing else matters. Every face is lit by the glow of awe, wonder and amazement and for those precious moments, I can't help but think of everyone as my neighbor and friend united by the love of this nation.
Flag- This, our nation's symbol of freedom, courage, hope, and dignity, is a beacon to all who live in this magnificent, beautiful land of the free and home of the brave.
It is so important as citizens of this great nation to learn about, respect, and protect the flag. Red signifies Bravery and Valor. White is the Purity and Innocence. Blue signifies the Vigilence and Justice. The 50 White stars symbolize the 50 Unites States.
Freedom- Finally, let me say that we must not forget the men and women who have sacrificed to keep this great nation how it should be: FREE! Freedom is often taken for granted and I hope that as we reflect this time on how and why our nation became the Unites States of America, that we will remember the sacrifice of others gone before to make the way for us!
I absolutely love the 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. You are so cute and patriotic midge! :) Now I've gotta see this Victrola??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't handle the Victrola! Muahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin