Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

My 4th of July weekend!

Saturday the 3rd- Started out as a beautiful, cool July day...
Ok, I will skip all of the minute details and spare you the monotony of my day.
Basicallly, I woke up. Went to work. Sold a car. Came home.
Now, the evening of the third is a whole different story! I was invited by an amazing family to attend the Stadium of Fire celebration in Provo with them. I have never been to it and only knew what to expect from word of mouth and a vague recollection of me sitting on my car roof last year trying to catch a glimpse of the fireworks. 
The program was all laid out and several acts were to perform. Before the festivities got under way, my amazing guy Judson, decided he was hungry and was going to get something to eat. Several minutes later, what do I see? Here comes Judson with the biggest grin on his face looking like the cat who swallowed the Canary... (I have to include a cat reference whenever I can!) Carrying what looks like an extinct Velociraptor leg drumstick!!! This thing was honestly the size of a small dog! Whatever bird lived to give his leg up to eat, was either in the weight category of a Sumo Wrestling Turkey, or a bird severely strung up on steroids. We all started laughing when we saw the hilariousness of it all.
The program started and it was so exciting to be a part of it all. There were motorcycles, bands, Boy Scouts, Military, dancers and singers. One of the acts featured the 5 Browns from Alpine Utah. 5 siblings who play 5 pianos at the same time to create mesmerizing music. This is the part where Angela complains...
The magnificent song the 5 Browns chose to play, was none other than the theme from, (wait for it......)  STAR WARS! Ok now normally on any other occasion I would have been thrilled to hear this song banged out on the Steinway's Ebony and Ivory keys. However, I found myself not enjoying it fully because I was disappointed that it was not patriotic and appropriate for the 4th of July! (Even though Star Wars is about as American as you can get.)  Come on!!! This is the holiday to celebrate the day we, as a young nation declared our Independance over 200 years ago. Can't we have the acts on this celebratory day be a little more patriotic?  
Other than those 15 minutes of unpatriotic Star Wars theme music, I had a wonderful time! Carrie Underwood was the main act and she was wonderful live. One other thing on the program; was an Eagle Scout Court of Honor. (the largest in history, with boy scouts from several states participating.) Here is the cute thing! There was a man in his 100's that has been with the Boy Scout program literally all his life. (I think they said boy scouts started 108 yrs. ago.) He said his lead into the ceremony and he was in his scout uniform and I have to say that it was the cutest thing ever! He looked so fragile but yet had a visible passion for what he was talking about. Very cool. : ) 

Obviously the fireworks were AMAZING!!!! Ok, I have said enough.

1 comment:

  1. lol you're a nerd, but I love you anyway!! haha :) I've only been inside the Stadium of Fire once when I was in elementary school, and my cousin was screaming and crying every time a firework went off because it "hurt her ears"...yeah you definitely had a better experience than me! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin